Now Hiring: Club manager
The Cleveland Park Club seeks an individual to manage the Club’s operations on a part-time basis. The Club's Manager is the face of the Club to its members and the community. The Manager must be self-motivated and dedicated to the mission of the Club. The position averages 20-30 hours per week of work over the course of a year, but there is both substantial flexibility in terms of work hours and significant seasonal variation in workload. During the spring and summer, closer to 40 hours per week are typically required. The Manager is responsible for running the Club on a day-to-day basis, hiring and managing summer staff, organizing events, marketing programs, managing vendors and service providers, and working with the Club’s volunteer Board on strategic matters.
The Cleveland Park Club is a private, non-profit social organization located in the heart of the Cleveland Park neighborhood in Washington, DC. The Club is a unique community that provides resources and activities for its adult and child members, where neighbors meet to swim in the Club’s pool, attend classes, summer camp, swim lessons, and enjoy member pot luck suppers and other social events. The Club was founded in 1922 and consists of 150 voting member households who use the pool, rent the clubhouse, and along with social members, participate in programming and social events throughout the year.
Applications considered on a rolling basis.
- Organize and coordinate classes, swim lessons, summer camp registrations, and clubhouse rentals.
- Manage existing vendors / service providers (cleaning, handyman, landscaping, house steward, etc.), and engage new ones as necessary.
- Manage day-to-day financial operations in conjunction with a bookkeeper and with oversight from the Board Treasurer.
Customer / Member Relations
- Serve as the face of the Club. Handle email and phone correspondence with members and customers, and facilitate program registration.
Marketing, Communications & Events
- Facilitate marketing communications by the Club via email, mailers, and listserv postings.
- Keep the website up to date and ensure that members know about upcoming events.
- Plan and facilitate member-only social events, in consultation the help of the Board.
- Oversee the Camp Director and the Aquatics Program Coordinator as they manage the summer camp and swim lessons, respectively.
- Lead the hiring process (in conjunction with the Board) of a Camp Director, Aquatics Program Coordinator, and any extra summer staff that may be required.
- Manage Club’s paper and electronic document repository.
- Experience managing relationships and coordinating activities among a number of different constituents simultaneously
- A track record of successfully operating in a customer-facing role
- Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple concurrent tasks, create organization, and be self-motivated
- Experience managing and hiring staff
- Flexible, able to adapt, change course and execute on the strategic and mundane
- Prior experience in managing a non-profit is a plus
- Prior experience working with an all-volunteer Board is a plus
- Knowledge of Cleveland Park and experience with the Cleveland Park Club is a plus
Key Success Factors
- Highly organized and self-motivated
- Happy operating in a customer-facing role
- Comfortable working on own for most of the year (The Manager is the only Club employee for half the year)
- Able to handle regular email correspondence with members, vendors and customers, to track activities and spending in programs like Excel, and to learn to manage the Club’s website content and online registration through the Club’s service provider (Wild Apricot)
- Be willing to do what it takes to get the job done, whatever it is
- Comfortable managing direct reports
- Positive attitude, and enthusiasm for being part our unique community organization
Annual Work Cycle and Hours of Work
- 20-30 hours per week, on average throughout the year
- Manager has significant flexibility over when hours are worked, except during the 8-10 weeks when the summer camp is in operation, when the Manager is expected to be largely onsite during camp hours
- Manager can work some of the time from home (or remotely), but they must be available to come to the Club as needed during business hours for appointments with members or vendors, and on occasion, for a few hours on the weekend
- Workload increases in spring and peaks in summer, often approaching 40 hrs / week
- Activity declines September to December
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. This position is part-time. The position is paid as an employee, but no benefits are provided.
The Manager will also receive a full, complimentary Family membership in the Club, which includes access to the pool, and discounts off camp and classes.
Please send your resume, along with a cover note explaining why you are interested in, and qualified for, the position via e-mail to apply@ClevelandParkClub.org.
Please include “Manager Application” in the subject line and only attach files in Microsoft Word or PDF format. No calls please.
CPC is an equal opportunity employer.