Now Hiring: Aquatics Director for Summer 2017
The Cleveland Park Club seeks a Director of Aquatics who excels at program management, staff supervision, and customer relations to oversee the Club’s swim instruction program for the summer 2017 season. This part-time position will begin upon hiring and continue through September 15, 2017.
Established in 1922, the Cleveland Park Club is a neighborhood social club with 150+ member families. The Club is most active during the summer season, which runs from Memorial Day to Labor Day, with its pool open daily, swim instruction taking place daily, and its camp operating on weekdays from 9:00am to 3:00pm.
Our swim program focuses on developing basic water skills and stroke proficiency in a fun, safe and friendly learning environment. Most swim students are Club members and/or campers.
Swim instruction takes place seven days per week from June through Labor Day. During the week, children’s group classes (ages 3 to 12) and private lessons (for any age) run between 9:00am and 3:00pm. On weekends, private lessons take place from 9:30-11:30am both days.
Further information about the Club’s swim instruction program, including class descriptions, can be found at http://clevelandparkclub.org/swiminstruction.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Implement and oversee the Club’s swim instruction program (curriculum, testing, progression, etc.) and improve/refine program as needed
- Recruit, interview and hire up to four swim instructors
- Manage swim instructors (scheduling, time sheets, communication) and support them in effective implementation of the Club’s swim instruction program
- Serve as substitute swim instructor as needed
- Oversee all aspects of the customer experience including student registration, scheduling and payments
- Foster positive, productive customer relations and provide regular feedback to customers on students’ experience and progression
- Build and maintain positive relationships with Club members, swim students and their parents/caregivers, and fellow Club employees
- Learn and utilize the Club’s cloud-based registration and payment system, Wild Apricot
- Recognize and respond adeptly to emergencies in accordance with facility protocols
- Enforce all aquatic facility policies, rules and regulations
- Complete other duties as assigned by supervisor, Club Manager
This position is approximately 20 hours per week. During April and May, the Aquatics Director will recruit and hire swim instructors and plan for the summer season. From June to Labor Day, the Aquatics Director is expected to be on site for a portion of most days, especially during the beginning of the season, to establish relationships with swim students and their parents as well as oversee swim instructors. Some work, such as scheduling, may be done remotely. Because swim instruction occurs daily, the Director should expect to work some weekend hours.
Compensation will include a base salary of $5,000 plus 5% of gross swim instruction revenue.
In addition to experience with swim instruction, supervision, and program management, ideal candidates will be able to demonstrate exceptional ability in the following areas:
- Taking initiative and assuming responsibility
- Proactively anticipating problems that may arise and resolving them before they do
- Handling unexpected problems on the spot
- Communicating effectively, both verbally and in writing, with students and their parents, Club members, swim instructors and other Club employees
We want someone who is a go-getter, reliable, enthusiastic and ready to make this a great summer of swim instruction.
Cleveland Park Club
- Private social club located in the Cleveland Park neighborhood at 3433 33rd Place NW, Washington DC 20008
- 150+ member families, many with young children
- Summer day camp (9:00am-3:00pm)
- Convenient to Metrorail (Cleveland Park Station, red line) and Metro bus routes
- Street parking available (restrictions apply)
- Read more at http://clevelandparkclub.org/
Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have experience as a swim instructor, including teaching young and/or new swimmers.
Applicants must possess a valid CPR/First Aid Certification or obtain certification before the start of our summer season. The Club will hold a CPR/First Aid Certification training class in late spring, which the employee may attend at his/her own expense.
The selected applicant must also pass a criminal background check.
Please send a brief cover letter and resume to Elizabeth Ash, Club Manager, at email@example.com. Priority will be given to applications received by March 19, 2017.